Tips for Fresh Graduates Looking for their First Job
Joining the workforce is very different from being in school. In school, almost everything is handed to you whether its resources for classes or the exact topics you need to research on. In looking for a job, however, you need to do everything on your own. Only you can define your strengths and weaknesses and the right company that fits into your goals for the future. In this article, we list down some tips you can use to make sure you make the right choices when choosing your first job.
1.Take a personality exam.
- Why take a personality exam? You get to know your strengths and weaknesses. There are a lot of online personality exams that can help you identify these and more. This makes it easier for you to define what your capabilities are and how you can push yourself further. Most recruitment agencies in Singapore also recommend fresh graduates to accomplish this. It will also tell you what environment you will thrive in making it easy for you to choose a boss or a company. Plus, it will also help you a lot once you get started with your job interviews.
- Most new employees don’t really know what business attire means. As different as it is for each company, you need to know the corporate business attire. Ask one or two Singapore recruitment agencies if they have a guide that can help you. Make sure you have enough choices to choose from so that you have different options based on your mood or the company you are applying for. A power suit, as they call it, can help add to your confidence something you’ll definitely need in an interview.
3.Avoid declining interviews you applied for.
- Once you submit your resume at a company, they review your application and decide whether or not you are right for the job. A majority of the time, for fresh graduates that is, they’ll probably skip your resume. In the rare times that they do see something in your application that is worth interviewing for, you need to take the time to meet them. Even if you applied on impulse, it will help you with your interview skills and make it much easier for you in the future.
4.Don’t put everything in your resume.
- Resumes shouldn’t contain your whole life story. Keep it up to one to three pages long. List down your major accomplishments and follow a format all throughout your resume. A Singapore recruitment agency will not bother reading one that is all over the place.
5.Read up on the company.
- Find out what makes the company tick. Look at the different values they hold dear. If these fit in with your values, then it is a perfect fit. If it isn’t, you can opt not to apply for the company. When reading up on the company or checking out the job ad, look for keywords they look often. Lightly use it on your resume and during your interview to improve your chances.
Are you looking for your first job? What are some of the challenges you’ve been facing?